Saturday, May 7, 2011

sunburns and sand in our shoes

So last week I was dying to hike--but there was wind, and I don't do wind.  At all.  Hermit. 

So I called Sarah, one of my best friends, and asked her to plan to come with me next time--so we made a plan.  Really, the plan consisted of a short hike, just to get outside, and then lunch.  Perfect.  We decided to go to Castlewood Canyon--an awesome state park about 10 miles from my house. 

And so we set out...no plan at all, just walking. Borderline wandering.  Which doesn't seem possible based on the fact I took a picture OF THE TRAIL MAP, but no, we didn't stop to look at it for a second longer than it took to take the picture. 
So we start the hike on Creek Bottom Trail--which winds along the bottom of the canyon.  It's awesome 

There's waterfalls down there--well, and actual water (which I know we don't see a lot of in these parts)...:)


And one of many stops to take the sand out of our shoes.  Really we wanted to play in the water, but in an effort to "excercise" we decided to keep walking. Excercise Smexercise.



So we get clear to the other end of the canyon, and realize we have to go all the way back. (don't comment here)  I guess catching up on life and changing the world can distract you--let's be honest, I'm ALWAYS distracted.  So we consult the trail map, yes the same one we walked right past at the beginning of the journey (by now it's a journey, not a hike--oh, and blazing hot), and determine a route back.  A completely different route.  Rim Rock.

Photo Op...Excuse Me

And so the trek back begins--there's some dam ruins in this canyon.  Pretty sure that's WHY it's a canyon--the dam broke years ago. 
"Please stay on the dam trail"....courtesy of Vegas Vacation.  Chevy Chase.  Need I say more?
I've now picked the restaurant we'll be eating at, ordered the food in my mind, and can taste the sweet iced tea.  This is not good.  Also, the Rim Rock trail--well, just follows the rim--so it's not the most direct path to the car. It's okay, we're changing the world, here, so we're in no hurry. And it's fun. And we both have the day off.  And it's gorgeous outside.  So quit complainin', Annie (please note, we were not complaining at this point, but a small measure of panic regarding the time of our next meal was in both of our minds I can assure you).  And let's just say on the top of the rim, there's no real path, so the wandering continues.  "Here rattlesnake, rattlesnake, rattlesnake..."
But we made it. Yes, this picture is from the beginning of the hike.  Our smiles were not that big at the end.  I'm not very nice when I need food.

But, GREAT day, and I love this girl.  And I'd do it again (with sunscreen, a snack, and taller socks).

No comments:

Post a Comment