Tuesday, August 2, 2011

humboldt

Still workin' on that bucket list.  Another 14er down.  Many to go, but we're checkin' off that list, slowly but surely. 


Humboldt Peak, down in the Sangre De Cristo Mountain Range, out by Westcliffe.  A group of friends and I met down there to climb--great excuse to see these guys, anyway.  Brent teaches down there in Westcliffe and I've promised to get down there to see him before.  Now, whether he likes it or not, I'll be back :) 
We went out the night before to The Dome--yes, it's actually a dome.  With phenomenal pizza.  And live music.  And men selling boots.  (true story)

Best part of this climb:  actually sleeping before the climb.  Brent lives like 30 minutes from the trailhead.  Again, I will be visiting him often.  Protein-packed breakfast (better than my hard-boiled-egg-on-the-go any day) we took off and were on the trailhead by 7am.
It may or may not have been a much longer hike than we anticipated, but we  made it.  I think we estimated like 8 miles roundtrip, but after we recalculated, it was 13 miles.  That's a big difference when you're talking about A) walking up a mountain and B) carrying a pack on your back.  But I'm still alive to tell about it. 
   

 



And I must say, I laughed most of the day.  These guys are just funny--so the entertainment was about as good as you can get. 
And the company, about as good as you can get.  And the views, about as good as you can get. 

Mark it off the list.





No comments:

Post a Comment